IJmuiden, formerly a village, now a city with an important harbor and active industry, with population (together with Velsen) of 52,108, with about 425 Mennonites in 1954, (2005 pop. 28,000 in the city itself) located in the Dutch province of North Holland at the mouth of the North Sea Canal, which joins Amsterdam to the sea. The Anabaptists here originally belonged to the adjacent Beverwijk congregation. On 21 February 1909 they organized an independent congregation, acquired a church, and called E. Pekema from Monnikendam as their pastor on 25 July 1909. He served until 1912 and was followed by D. Attema 1912-1915, W. Luikinga 1915-d. 1928, F. F. Milatz 1929-1944, W. Veen 1949-1955, and J. P. Jacobszoon 1956- .
The membership of the IJmuiden congregation, numbering 80 when the congregation was founded, was 170 in 1930 and 204 in 1954. During the last years of World War II church life was at a complete standstill; the church was damaged by bombs which destroyed a part of the town, and the population was evacuated. Church services in 1957 were held at IJmuiden and in a rented hall at Westerveld. Church activities included Sunday school for children at IJmuiden and Velsen, ladies' circles at IJmuiden and Santpoort, and a Bible course.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1909): 186; (1910): 191.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 406.
De Noodbrug (October 1945).
De Zondagsbode 22 (1909-10): Nos. 9, 18, 41.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
van der Zijpp, Nanne. "IJmuiden (Noord-Holland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 26 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=IJmuiden_(Noord-Holland,_Netherlands)&oldid=92079.
van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1958). IJmuiden (Noord-Holland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=IJmuiden_(Noord-Holland,_Netherlands)&oldid=92079.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.