1956 Article
The Hutterthal Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located near Hitchcock and Carpenter in Beadle County, South Dakota, was a member of the Northern District Conference. The congregation was first organized in 1906 under the leadership of Joseph M. Hofer. The original building was purchased from the Methodists and was replaced with a new structure in 1949. The membership increased from 80 to 176 in 1954. In addition to Joseph M. Hofer, the congregation was served by Elias J. Wipf, Joseph J. Hofer, and Paul J. R. Hofer, who was the pastor in 1954. -- John D. Unruh
 2012 Update
The Hutterthal Mennonite Church formally left the General Conference Mennonite Church in 1993. Most members no longer adhered to Anabaptist theology and so no longer felt connected to the Conference. Also, certain members were especially upset about the actions of Gay affirming churches in the denomination.
In 2006 Hutterthal Mennonite Church celebrated it's 100th anniversary through various activities. In the summer of 2010 Hutterthal Mennonite Church changed it's name to Prairie Bible Church as they felt that the name "Mennonite" no longer described who they were.
|Author(s)||John D Unruh|
|Date Published||September 2012|
 Cite This Article
Unruh, John D. "Hutterthal Mennonite Church (Carpenter, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2012. Web. 21 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutterthal_Mennonite_Church_(Carpenter,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=103239.
Unruh, John D. (September 2012). Hutterthal Mennonite Church (Carpenter, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutterthal_Mennonite_Church_(Carpenter,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=103239.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.