Difference between revisions of "Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
 
Line 2: Line 2:
 
Hutterthal was a village of the [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterian Brethren]] in the province of [[Taurida Guberniya (Ukraine)|Taurida]] in South [[Russia|Russia]]. They came from [[Vyshenka (Chernihiv Oblast, Ukraine)|Vyshenka]], province of Tchernigov, in 1843 and established their village on a tract of steppe-land which [[Cornies, Johann (1789-1848)|Johann Cornies]] had leased for a long time previously. At the request of the government Cornies guided the entire venture and became the best friend and adviser of the new settlers. Many were very poor, unable to provide food or shelter for themselves for the winter; Cornies secured the necessary grain as well as a loan of 15,000 rubles from the crown. In 1844, 30 houses were finished, and soon the second village, Johannesruh, founded. Economic prosperity came soon. By 1846 they had paid off their entire debt to the government. When universal military service was introduced in Russia, the Hutterites again abandoned their homes, and in 1874 immigrated to America. Their villages passed into Lutheran possession.
 
Hutterthal was a village of the [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterian Brethren]] in the province of [[Taurida Guberniya (Ukraine)|Taurida]] in South [[Russia|Russia]]. They came from [[Vyshenka (Chernihiv Oblast, Ukraine)|Vyshenka]], province of Tchernigov, in 1843 and established their village on a tract of steppe-land which [[Cornies, Johann (1789-1848)|Johann Cornies]] had leased for a long time previously. At the request of the government Cornies guided the entire venture and became the best friend and adviser of the new settlers. Many were very poor, unable to provide food or shelter for themselves for the winter; Cornies secured the necessary grain as well as a loan of 15,000 rubles from the crown. In 1844, 30 houses were finished, and soon the second village, Johannesruh, founded. Economic prosperity came soon. By 1846 they had paid off their entire debt to the government. When universal military service was introduced in Russia, the Hutterites again abandoned their homes, and in 1874 immigrated to America. Their villages passed into Lutheran possession.
  
Daughter colonies of the Hutterthal Hutterite Colony include: [[Johannesruh Hutterite Colony (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Johannesruh Hutterite Colony]] (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine); [[Hutterdorf Hutterite Colony (Hutterdorf, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Hutterdorf Hutterite Colony]] (Hutterdorf, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine); [[Sheromet Hutterite Colony (Sheromet, Ekaterinoslav, South Russia)|Sheromet Hutterite Colony]] (Sheromet, Ekaterinoslav, South Russia); and [[Neu-Hutterthal Hutterite Colony (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Neu-Hutterthal Hutterite Colony]] (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine).
+
Daughter colonies of the Hutterthal Hutterite Colony include: [[Johannesruh Hutterite Colony (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Johannesruh Hutterite Colony]] (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine); [[Hutterdorf Hutterite Colony (Hutterdorf, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Hutterdorf Hutterite Colony]] (Hutterdorf, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine); [[Sheromet Hutterite Colony (Sheromet, Ekaterinoslav, Ukraine)|Sheromet Hutterite Colony]] (Sheromet, Ekaterinoslav, Ukraine); and [[Neu-Hutterthal Hutterite Colony (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Neu-Hutterthal Hutterite Colony]] (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine).
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
== Location ==
 
== Location ==

Latest revision as of 13:45, 15 November 2017

Hutterthal was a village of the Hutterian Brethren in the province of Taurida in South Russia. They came from Vyshenka, province of Tchernigov, in 1843 and established their village on a tract of steppe-land which Johann Cornies had leased for a long time previously. At the request of the government Cornies guided the entire venture and became the best friend and adviser of the new settlers. Many were very poor, unable to provide food or shelter for themselves for the winter; Cornies secured the necessary grain as well as a loan of 15,000 rubles from the crown. In 1844, 30 houses were finished, and soon the second village, Johannesruh, founded. Economic prosperity came soon. By 1846 they had paid off their entire debt to the government. When universal military service was introduced in Russia, the Hutterites again abandoned their homes, and in 1874 immigrated to America. Their villages passed into Lutheran possession.

Daughter colonies of the Hutterthal Hutterite Colony include: Johannesruh Hutterite Colony (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine); Hutterdorf Hutterite Colony (Hutterdorf, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine); Sheromet Hutterite Colony (Sheromet, Ekaterinoslav, Ukraine); and Neu-Hutterthal Hutterite Colony (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine).

Additional Information

Location

Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine

Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 384.


Author(s) David H Epp
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, David H. "Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 13 Dec 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutterthal_(Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=155735.

APA style

Epp, David H. (1956). Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 December 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutterthal_(Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=155735.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 867. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.