Hutchinson County, South Dakota U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Hutchinson County, in southeastern South Dakota
, is the most heavily Mennonite-populated county in the state. Beginning in 1874 until the early 1880s a heavy stream of Mennonites settled in the county, all coming from Russia
. Freeman (1955 population 1000, about two-thirds Mennonite) very early came to be an active center of Mennonite life. In this city there were many Mennonite business establishments, a Mennonite home for the aged, Freeman Junior College
, and a General Conference Mennonite
church. Many Mennonites from the surrounding territory come to Freeman to retire. There were in the county in 1955 six Mennonite churches-one Mennonite Brethren
, one Krimmer Mennonite Brethren
, and four General Conference Mennonite, all but one of which were rural, and three Hutterian Brethren
Bruderhofs, all located along the James River, with a population of 275 in 1955. The estimated 1,700 Mennonites in the county constituted approximately 14% of its total population at that time.
|| J. D Unruh
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Unruh, J. D. "Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutchinson_County_(South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=95365.
Unruh, J. D. (1956). Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutchinson_County_(South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=95365.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 2, p. 850. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.