Huron Hutterite Bruderhof, four miles (6.4 kilometers) north of Benard, Manitoba, was founded in 1918 by 19 families with their preachers Joseph and Michael Waldner, who were brothers. The colony sold its Huron Hutterite Colony holdings in South Dakota, 12 miles (19.3 kilometers) northeast of Huron and gave the new Bruderhof the same name. The reason for the migration was the more liberal provisions made for conscientious objectors to military service. On 14 February 1926, Joseph Glanzer was chosen preacher and confirmed in office on 9 December 1934. Preacher Michael Waldner was chosen on 3 March 1940. In 1947 the Bruderhof numbered 163, of whom 64 were baptized members.
Daughter colonies of Huron Hutterite Colony include: Aspenheim (Bagot, Manitob); Parkview (Riding Mountain, Manitoba); Pearl Creek (Iroquois, South Dakota); and Poplar Point (Portage la Prairie, Manitoba).
In 2012 the Huron Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. The minister was Dave Waldner and the manager was Willie Kleinsasser.
Location: Elie, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.952778 N, 97.855833 W [49˚57′ 10″ N, 97˚51′ 21″ W])
Address: Box 329, Elie, Manitoba, R0H 0H0
|Date Published||February 2013|
Cite This Article
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Huron Hutterite Colony (Benard, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 28 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huron_Hutterite_Colony_(Benard,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=65526.
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (February 2013). Huron Hutterite Colony (Benard, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huron_Hutterite_Colony_(Benard,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=65526.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.