Huron County, Michigan U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Huron County, Michigan
, is a rich farming section located in the east-central part of the state. In 1954, approximately 370 Mennonites were scattered over an area about 20 miles (32 kilometers) long and 10 miles (16 kilometres) wide in the western part of the county. Three families lived in adjoining Tuscola County
as home missionaries. Approximately three fourths of the settlement was of the Conservative Amish Mennonite
branch and the remainder of the Mennonite Church (MC)
branch of the church. The first settlers arrived from Ontario
about 1888 or earlier and later organized what is now the Pigeon Mennonite Church
. The settlers who later organized the Pigeon River Conservative A.M. Church
began to arrive in 1900. The Fairhaven Mission was begun as an outpost of this church in 1934.
|| Raymond Byler
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Byler, Raymond. "Huron County (Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 29 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huron_County_(Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113819.
Byler, Raymond. (1956). Huron County (Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huron_County_(Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113819.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 2, p. 845. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.