Hostetter Mennonite Church, established in Union Township, Adams County, Pennsylvania, in 1845, was originally a member of the Lancaster Conference. The church has a cornerstone marked "Manosimon Meetinghouse Built AD 1854; Rebuilt 1899." This beautiful farming community was settled by Mennonites in the mid-18th century. The congregation met in private homes with Bair's Hanoverand later a schoolhouse until 1854, when Bishop John Hostetter gave land for a church, and the first meetinghouse was built, later replaced by another one. Services are held here every four weeks. It is part of the Hanover-Bair's Hanover circuit. In 1955 it had 111 members.
In 1978 or later the congregation withdrew from the Lancaster Conference and joined the Mid-Atlantic Mennonite Fellowship, a conservative group that brought together independent Mennonite congregations. It was identified as the Bairs-Hostetters Mennonite Church. In 2008 it had 48 members; Richard K. Herr was the bishop; David Keller was the minister.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
|Date Published||July 2008|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. "Hostetter Mennonite Church (Littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2008. Web. 16 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hostetter_Mennonite_Church_(Littlestown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=82257.
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. (July 2008). Hostetter Mennonite Church (Littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hostetter_Mennonite_Church_(Littlestown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=82257.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.