R.R. 2, Baden, ON. Located on the south side of Christner Road, 1 mile north of New Hamburg. This location was also known as the Wilmot Reformed Mennonite meetinghouse. Ministers Aaron Yost, Walter J. Roth and Robert L. Beehler served in the 1970s as congregational leaders. The congregation ceased use of the meetinghouse in 1976. It has been affiliated with the Reformed Mennonite Church since 1844 and has always been part of that segment of the Mennonite "family."
Other ministers who served this congregation prior to 1961 were Christian Zimmerman, John Honderich, Joseph Wilhelm, Frederick Weicker, Harvey Gampp (bishop) and Abram Honderich.
The language of worship was English as the transition from German occurred in 1920s. The congregation began services in 1844 and occupied its first building the same year. The congregation originated through colonization by Reformed Mennonite families from the Niagara Peninsula. Persons from other denominations also joined the group over the years. Members in the area continued to use the North Easthope Reformed Mennonite meetinghouse.
Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 246.
|Author(s)||Jacob L., Marlene Epp Kreider|
|Date Published||June 2000|
Cite This Article
Kreider, Jacob L., Marlene Epp and Sam Steiner. "Hostetler's Reformed Mennonite Church (Baden, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2000. Web. 16 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hostetler%27s_Reformed_Mennonite_Church_(Baden,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=88114.
Kreider, Jacob L., Marlene Epp and Sam Steiner. (June 2000). Hostetler's Reformed Mennonite Church (Baden, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hostetler%27s_Reformed_Mennonite_Church_(Baden,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=88114.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.