Until 1772 Horsterbusch was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Horsterbusch was located. Horsterbusch was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Horsterbusch (now Krzewiny) was a settlement in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Staw, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census does not list any Mennonites in Horsterbusch, so it appears that Mennonites settled in the village no earlier than the last quarter of the 18th century. In 1820 Horsterbusch had 226 inhabitants, including 3 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Horsterbusch were members of the Elbing-Ellerwald Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Krzewiny, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 10 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzewiny,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 10 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2588.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Horsterbusch (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 2 Jun 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Horsterbusch_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=82251.
Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Horsterbusch (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 June 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Horsterbusch_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=82251.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.