Horodyszcze (German: Horodischtz, Horodisch). A congregation of Swiss-Volhynian Mennonites was located in the Volhynian (now part of western Ukraine) village of Horodyszcze, 30 miles (48 km.) northeast of Rowno (Rivne), (coordinates: 49° 28' 0 N, 23° 19' 60 E), from 1837 until 1874. Coming from the Polish villages of Urszulin and Michelsdorf in 1837, the group made the move to Horodyszcze because of better farming opportunities. During the same year or soon thereafter twelve families moved from Horodyszcze, beginning the daughter colony at Waldheim. The first baptism at Horodyszcze occurred in 1838. The congregation did not have a church building. Congregational leaders were Jacob Graber, Peter Kaufman, and Joseph Graber. Family names recorded in the church book included Albrecht, Voran, Graber, Kaufman, Flickinger, Prieheim, Gering, Schrag, Stucky, Schwartz, Rysz, Senner, Strausz, and Krehbiel. The congregation at Horodyszcze joined the Waldheim congregation in the immigration to America in 1874. Under the leadership of Elder Peter Kaufman 53 families made the journey to Hutchinson and Turner counties, South Dakota.
Schrag, Martin H. "European History of the Swiss-Volhynian Mennonite Ancestors of Mennonites now Living in Communities in Kansas and South Dakota." Master's dissertation, 1956.
Schrag, Martin H. "The Swiss Volhynian Mennonite Background." Mennonite Life IX (October 1954): 156-61.
|Author(s)||Martin H Schrag|
 Cite This Article
Schrag, Martin H. "Horodyszcze (Rivne Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Horodyszcze_(Rivne_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=82242.
Schrag, Martin H. (1959). Horodyszcze (Rivne Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Horodyszcze_(Rivne_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=82242.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.