Hope Ministries (formerly Hope Rescue Mission until March 2008), the first rescue mission operated by the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (Mennonite Church), opened on 28 February 1954 at 530-532 South Michigan Street, South Bend, Indiana, because of the great need in that city. Men from surrounding churches donated over 1,750 man-hours of labor to clean and renovate a dilapidated tavern and gambling hall, transforming it into one of the most attractive rescue missions in the country.
During the first month an evening service was held on five nights of the week. In 1956 one public service and two classes were conducted daily in the mission. Thirty different church groups participated in the evening services. The facilities consisted of a chapel seating 125, prayer room, dining room, kitchen, laundry, shower rooms, housing facilities for 45 transient men and women, and quarters for staff workers. The mission served two meals daily to transients, distributed clothing daily, and operated a medical clinic, a barber shop, and an employment service.
In 2008 Hope Ministries also operated a Family Life Center at 432 South Lafayette Blvd. for families and single women.
 Additional Information
Address: Family Life Center, 432 S. Lafayette Blvd., South Bend, Indiana 46601
Men's Center, 532 S. Michigan Street, South Bend, Indiana 46634-4488
Website: Hope Ministries
|Author(s)||T. E Schrock|
 Cite This Article
Schrock, T. E. "Hope Ministries (South Bend, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 11 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hope_Ministries_(South_Bend,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=82224.
Schrock, T. E. (1956). Hope Ministries (South Bend, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hope_Ministries_(South_Bend,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=82224.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.