Homewood Mennonite Church, located 10 km. north of Homewood, Manitoba, began services in 1938, and formally organized in 1954. The first building was occupied in 1943, with subsequent building in 1961. David D. Klassen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from southern Manitoba. The congregation was organized as an independent Bergthaler church in 1954.
Other pastors that served the congregation included Peter Giesbrecht (1947-1974), Peter Buhler, Ed Cornelson, Henry Isaak, Egon Enns, Abe Hiebert, Peter Penner, Ed Enns and Martin Sawatzky.
The congregation closed its door on 7 November 1999 because of the decline in the population base in the rural area. The building was sole to a Mennonite Brethren congregation, and was to be moved to Vita, Manitoba.
Mennonite Reporter (14 June 1993): 8-9.
Canadian Mennonite 3 (6 December 1999): 28.
Gerbrandt, H. J. Adventure in Faith. Altona, MB: Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba, 1970, 379 pp.
See Bergthaler Church collection and D. D. Klassen collection at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
 Additional Information
General Conference Mennonite Church
 Homewood Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||January 1989|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Homewood Mennonite Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 1 Dec 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Homewood_Mennonite_Church_(Carman,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=104656.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Homewood Mennonite Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 December 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Homewood_Mennonite_Church_(Carman,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=104656.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.