Holwerd, Dutch province of Friesland, is the seat of the congregation of Holwerd-Blija, formerly called Holwerd, de Vischbuurt, and Blija; de Vischbuurt in 1850 became the independent congregation of Ternaard. Until 1935 church services were also held in Blija, but now only in Holwerd. Holwerd is a town of about 2,000 inhabitants. Its Mennonite congregation must have been established about 1563; Leenaert Bouwens baptized a total of 234 persons here (67 in 1563-1565; 167 in 1568-1582). Of the history of this congregation not much is known. A meetinghouse was built in 1629 (this old meetinghouse was still in use in 1930 as a non-Mennonite kindergarten); the membership then numbered about 180; 241 in 1861, 260 in 1900, only 85 in 1954. A new meetinghouse was built in 1850, rebuilt in 1927. An organ was installed in 1906.
Holwerd was one of the first rural congregations to call a minister trained at the Amsterdam Seminary, viz., Pieter Feenstra, who served here 1792-1797. Since this time the congregation has always been served by a trained minister. Ministers over several decades were A. H. van Drooge 1897-1901, H. C. Barthel 1902-1913, G. A. Hulshoff 1913-1916, W. Hilverda 1916-1950, A. J. van der Linden 1950-1954.
Church activities in 1954 included a ladies' circle after 1920; Sunday school for children after 1902; youth group, Menniste Bouwers group.
See English-language summary on congregation's website
|Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Hilverda, W. and Nanne van der Zijpp. "Holwerd (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1954. Web. 4 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Holwerd_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=95297.
Hilverda, W. and Nanne van der Zijpp. (1954). Holwerd (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Holwerd_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=95297.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.