Jump to: navigation, search

Hollsopple (the borough name is Benson), Somerset County, Pennsylvania, a mining village of 1,000 inhabitants in 1950 (under 200 in 2000), located about 10 miles (16 kilometers) south of Johnstown, is the post-office address for a very large part of the Johnstown district Mennonite settlement, particularly the four older congregations, viz., the Stahl (1 mile distant), Kaufman, Blough, and Thomas congregations, with a total of about 650 members (1956), and is therefore a very familiar address. It is, however, on the south edge of the settlement and is not the shopping center for the Mennonite community.

Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1956

[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Hollsopple (Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 Oct 2016.,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=82163.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1956). Hollsopple (Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 October 2016, from,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=82163.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 794. All rights reserved.

©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.