Hoekstra, Sytse Benedictus (1698-1768)
Sytse Benedictus Hoekstra was born 1698 at Oudega near Witveen, Dutch province of Friesland and died 13 July 1768, at Den Burg on the island of Texel. He did not receive a special training for the ministry; before and also during the first years of his ministry he was a farmer. He was the progenitor of a large family of Dutch Mennonites, which has produced many preachers. He was minister at Witveen 1722, Veenwouden 1726, Kollum 1736, Kollum and Buitenpost 1742, Burg op Texel 1753 to his death. He wrote Bespiegelnde en praktische onderwijzingen uit Genesis III (expanded and published by his son, Zaandam, 1756), and Beknopte antwoorden op vragen voor den Doop (Zaandam, 1766). He was married to Joukje Egberts and was the father of five daughters and six sons, all of whom became preachers in the strict Zonist Mennonite branch:
- Benedictus (1722-1779), preacher at Buitenpost 1743, den Ilp 1746, and Westzaan (Frisian congregation) 1754-1779. He published a funeral address for his father (Zaandam, 1768); Vragen met korte antwoorden over den Doop en het Avondmaal (Zaandam, 1771), and Het antidox character van Justus Benevolens (Zaandam, n.d.).
- Egbertus (died 1798), minister at Goedereede 1745 and at Groningen (United Flemish and Waterlander congregation) 1754-1798.
- Sjoerd (died 1789), preacher at Aalsmeer 1748, Ouddorp 1754, and Emden 1759-1789. His son published a collection of sermons delivered by his father and himself, Plegtige leerredenen te Emden en Utrecht. Sjoerd was married to Maria Jans Valk and had a son, Johannes Albertus.
- Wytse, born about 1728 or 1729 at Veenwouden, died 27 March 1801, at Rotterdam, was married to Jannetje C. Loos of Blokzijl. He was preacher at Veenwouden 1751, Blokzijl 1753, where he united the Flemish and Danziger Old Flemish congregations, and Rotterdam 1786. He wrote Leerzame en vertroostende gedachten. His son Sytse Wytses (1757-1786), married to Elisabeth van Cleef, was preacher at Den Ilp, June to December 1780; Kampen 1780; West-Zaandam 1782-1786. He wrote Over de natuur van onzen Middelaar Jesus Christus, published with the funeral address delivered at his death by H. van Gelder (Amsterdam, 1768).
- Hidser, born 14 March 1730 at Veenwouden, died 7 September 1772 at Sneek, preacher at Burg op Texel 1761, Harlingen 1763, Sneek (Kleinzand Old Flemish congregation) 1764-1772. His son Sytse Hidsers, born 1757 at Den Burg, died there on 7 June 1814, married to Neeltje Jacobs Baske, was preacher at Den Helder 1777, and Texel 1790-1814. Sytse had two sons: (a) Jacob, born about 1779 at Den Helder, died 12 May 1850, at Kampen, preacher at Hoorn op Texel 1812, and Den Helder 1815-1839. His son was Soerd (1805-1894); (b) Benedictus, born 5 March 1793, at Den Burg, died 19 January 1872, at Barsingerhorn, married to Aafje Pruit. For his theological training he was not sent to the Amsterdam Mennonite Seminary, because his father did not like the liberal teaching of Professor Hesselink. So Benedictus Hoekstra was trained for the ministry by Preacher H. Veenstra of Texel. He was preacher at Oudesluis 1813, and then 1828-1863 at Barsingerhorn. His son was Professor Sytse Hoekstra Bzn (1822-1898).
- Johannes, born at Kollum (?) about 1740, died at Heerenveen in 1776, was preacher at Burg op Texel 1764, and Heerenveen 1765-1776.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1868): 90 f; (1873): 151-154; (1890): 107-110; (1898): 161.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 322.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: I, No. 711, 1056.
Molhuysen, P. C. and P. J. Blok. Nieuw Nederlandsch Biografisch Woordenboek. Leiden, 1911-1937: I, 121, 1119-1122, 1126.
Visscher, H. and L. A. van Langeraad. Het protestantsche vaderland: biographisch woordenboek van protestantsche godgeleerden in Nederland, 8 vols. Utrecht, 1903-1918: IV, 75 f, 76, 87.
|Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Loosjes, Jacob and Nanne van der Zijpp. "Hoekstra, Sytse Benedictus (1698-1768)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hoekstra,_Sytse_Benedictus_(1698-1768)&oldid=95279.
Loosjes, Jacob and Nanne van der Zijpp. (1956). Hoekstra, Sytse Benedictus (1698-1768). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hoekstra,_Sytse_Benedictus_(1698-1768)&oldid=95279.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.