Hillcrest Mennonite Church is located in New Hamburg, Ontario, 1.5 km west of New Hamburg at Hwy 7 & 8 and Waterloo Regional Rd. 1. Ministers Jan Steckley and Kevin Peters Unrau served in 2013 as congregational leaders. In 1965 there were 162 members; in 1975, 207; in 1985, 229; in 1995, 250; in 2000, 251. The congregation has been affiliated with the Western Ontario Mennonite Conference (1964-1988), Mennonite Church (1964-1999), Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-) and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1995-). The language of worship is English.
The congregation began services and formally organized in 1964. The first building was occupied in 1964. Henry Yantzi is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through church planting from East Zorra Mennonite in 1964 due to the latter's increasing numbers.
Hillcrest Mennonite Church, New Hamburg, Ontario (1976), 12 pp.; Mennonites in Canada collection "70-Hillcrest," Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Lichti, Fred. A History of the East Zorra (Amish) Mennonite Church 1837-1977. Tavistock, Ontario: East Zorra Mennonite Church, 1977, 132 pp.
Kaethler, Andy. "History of Hillcrest Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Unpublished histories, 1979 and 1984, part of 15th and 20th anniversary celebrations.
Church records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Hillcrest Mennonite Church (New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 23 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hillcrest_Mennonite_Church_(New_Hamburg,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=105076.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Hillcrest Mennonite Church (New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hillcrest_Mennonite_Church_(New_Hamburg,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=105076.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.