From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Hijum was the name of a Mennonite congregation in the province of Friesland. Leenaert Bouwens baptized seven persons here. The first mention of a Hijum congregation is found in the resolutions of the Frisian Mennonite brotherhood in 1713; it consisted then of 15 unsupported members. The name Hijum is also found in the [[Naamlijst der tegenwoordig in dienst zijnde predikanten der Mennoniten in de Vereenigde Nederlanden|Naamlijst]] of 1784, but no longer in 1786. Blaupot ten Cate and Wartena assume that the Hijum congregation was at that time merged with Hallum. But in all probability Hijum and Hallum were variant names of the same congregation, the latter being adopted when in 1779 it was decided to build the new church one mile (1.5 km) north in Hallum. Hence the present church at Hallum owns the land (6 acres) which had been the property of the Hijum church. There is no further information on the church at Hijum.

[edit] Bibliography

Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Friesland. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff, 1839: 88 f., 244, 306.

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1890): 103; (1910): 124 f., 139-141.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff.  Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 385.

Naamlijst der tegenwoordig in dienst zijnde predikanten der Mennoniten in de vereenigde Nederlanden. (Amsterdam 1731-1784).


Author(s) S. D. A Wartena
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Wartena, S. D. A. "Hijum (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hijum_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=118274.

APA style

Wartena, S. D. A. (1956). Hijum (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hijum_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=118274.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 740. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.