From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:48, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

The Hespeler Mennonite Brethren Church, Hespeler, Ontario, was located on the third floor of a dry goods store on the east side of Guelph St. downtown. Lay leader John Schoenke served as a congregational leader. The congregation dissolved in 1953. It had been affiliated with the Ontario Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches in 1932, the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches in 1946, General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches in 1939. The language of worship was German.

The congregation began services in 1927, and formally organized on November 20, 1932. J. Bartels, J.P. Wiens, H. Wiens, and J. Schoenke are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union in the 1920s. When the congregation dissolved it merged with the Kitchener Mennonite Brethren church. The group shared a rented hall with General Conference Mennonite immigrants. The congregation's highest membership was 31 in 1933.

Bibliography

Church records at Mennonite Brethren archives in St. Catharines.


Author(s) H. H. Janzen
Marlene Epp
Date Published April 1986


Cite This Article

MLA style

Janzen, H. H. and Marlene Epp. "Hespeler Mennonite Brethren Church (Hespeler, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 10 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hespeler_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Hespeler,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=88029.

APA style

Janzen, H. H. and Marlene Epp. (April 1986). Hespeler Mennonite Brethren Church (Hespeler, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hespeler_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Hespeler,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=88029.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.