From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Hersteins Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) was originally an outpost of the Skippack congregation of the Franconia Conference. The Hersteins school and meetinghouse with cemetery was located in Limerick Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The first building seems to have been erected in 1803, and was enlarged in 1917. The high point in number of members was 30, sometime in the 19th century. Services were always suspended during the winter months. For some time, beginning in 1934, a non-sectarian minister conducted services in the "Herstein Chapel." In 1954 the Franconia Mennonite Mission Board opened work in the ancient building to re-establish a Mennonite congregation at Hersteins. This congregation ceased operations in 2007. The building was then used for a new church plant.


Author(s) John C Wenger
Sam Steiner
Date Published 2008


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Wenger, John C and Sam Steiner. "Hersteins Mennonite Church (Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 20 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hersteins_Mennonite_Church_(Schwenksville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116027.

APA style

Wenger, John C and Sam Steiner. (2008). Hersteins Mennonite Church (Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hersteins_Mennonite_Church_(Schwenksville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116027.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 716. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.