Hershey Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), originally known as the Hess Church, located in Salisbury Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, is a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. Christian Hess, Jr., and Abraham Hershey were the trustees who purchased the land for the first meetinghouse in 1814, which was used both as a school and as a church. The second church was built by 1837, and a new brick one on the present site in 1862, which was replaced by the fourth church in 1879, remodeled during the winter of 1947-1948. It was a part of the Pequea ministerial circuit almost to 1954. It then became a part of the Old Road-Meadville circuit, but gradually it became a separate congregation. Peter Eby was the first bishop when the congregation still worshiped in homes. In 1953 G. Parke Book was the bishop; Martin R. and Sanford E. Hershey the ministers; and Willis L. Hershey with his father Landis Hershey, deacons; the membership was 196. Meadville and the Intercourse Mission Sunday School, begun 50 years earlier, were outgrowths of this congregation.
Address: 401 Hershey Church Road, Kinzers, Pennsylvania
Website: Hershey Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Hershey Mennonite Church (Kinzers, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 6 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hershey_Mennonite_Church_(Kinzers,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=81978.
Landis, Ira D. (1956). Hershey Mennonite Church (Kinzers, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hershey_Mennonite_Church_(Kinzers,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=81978.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.