Der Herold (1909-1941) was the name given <em>Post und Volksblatt</em> (established 1903) (first called Das Kansas Volksblatt, 1900-1902) in 1910 when the publishing company changed its name from Western Book and Publishing Co. to Herald Book and Publishing Co. (from 1920 on Herald Publishing Co.), but always published at Newton, Kansas. At first a five-column eight-page weekly, in 1904 it became a six-column eight-page 18 x 22-inch paper. This publication, always published by General Conference Mennonites and largely for members of that group in the Newton area, was a pioneer in Mennonite journalism with its program of combining religious and secular interests into a weekly Mennonite family newspaper. H. P. Krehbiel was closely associated with the Herold from the beginning until a few years before his death. C. E. Krehbiel served as editor until July 1920, H. P. Krehbiel October 1920-January 1922, C. Frey January-June 1922, J. B. Epp July 1922-September 1923, H. P. Krehbiel October 1923-September 1935, G. H. Willms September 1935-December 1941.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Herold, Der (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 7 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herold,_Der_(Periodical)&oldid=81961.
Bender, Harold S. (1956). Herold, Der (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herold,_Der_(Periodical)&oldid=81961.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.