Herald Publishing Company, Newton, Kansas, a nonprofit organization, was incorporated 7 April 1920, under a Kansas charter for the purpose of supplying "such specialized literature as will meet the needs of the Mennonites of the Central West." The first board of directors, elected at an organization meeting held 19 April 1920, were: H. P. Krehbiel, C. J. Goering, W. B. Unrau, G. Regier, C. C. Wedel, J. P. Andres, H. J. Dyck, P. H. Richert, and G. A. Haury. Officers chosen at a subsequent meeting on the same date were H. P. Krehbiel, chairman, C. C. Wedel, vice-chairman, W. B. Unrau, secretary, and C. J. Goering, treasurer. Books, office, and printing equipment (and with it the German publication Der Herold) were bought for $8,473.88 from the Herald Book & Publishing Company, a private Stock company, which was then dissolved. Capital funds were obtained through sale of $25.00 "memberships" to over 300 interested persons, all of them General Conference Mennonites and residing mostly in central Kansas. Der Herold editors and general managers were: H. P. Krehbiel, April 1920 to December 1921; C. Frey, January 1922 to June 1922; J. B. Epp, July 1922 to September 1923; H. P. Krehbiel, October 1923 to September 1935, G. H. Willms becoming assistant Herold editor in 1923 and also serving as assistant manager 1926-1935. In 1923 the English publication, Mennonite Weekly Review, was established and A. J. Krehbiel engaged as first editor. Upon his resignation in 1925, H. P. Krehbiel assumed also the Review editorship, continuing until 1935. Assistant Review editors were Abe Epp, 1925-1926; Menno Schrag, 1927-1928, 1931-1935; and F. J. Wiens, 1929-1930. In September 1935 G. H. Willms was appointed general manager and Herold editor and Menno Schrag assistant manager and Review editor. In June 1938 the company moved from its earlier locations at 107 East 7th Street and 722 Main Street, Newton, to its newly purchased building at 129-133 West 6th Street, Newton. Under difficulties brought about by World War II, Der Herold was discontinued December 1941. On 20 April 1946, book stock and a portion of printing equipment was sold to a newly organized private concern, the Herald Book & Printing Company. Menno Schrag, the Review editor, assumed the Herald Publishing Company management, with J. Richard Blosser assistant manager and associate editor of the Review. Company activity then centered mainly on publishing of the Mennonite Weekly Review, circulated nationally among most branches of the Mennonite Church. Later the company name was changed to Mennonite Weekly Review, Inc.
Cite This Article
Schrag, Menno. "Herald Publishing Company (Newton, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 1 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herald_Publishing_Company_(Newton,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=95202.
Schrag, Menno. (1956). Herald Publishing Company (Newton, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herald_Publishing_Company_(Newton,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=95202.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.