The first literature of the Defenseless Mennonite Conference (later Evangelical Mennonite, now Fellowship of Evangelical Churches) was a report of its first session held at Berne, Indiana, 14-17 October 1883. The first real effort of publication was a songbook called Glaubens-Lieder. In 1898 a resolution was passed by the conference to start a German paper under the name of Heilsbote.
In 1898 C. R. Egle of the Salem Church near Flanagan, Illinois, purchased a printing press. The conference appointed him as editor of the Heilsbote, with Peter Hochstettler and Joseph Rediger as assistants, the first issue appearing in 1898. The purpose of this publication was to help unify the church and help create an interest in mission work which had been started in Africa. Egle was the editor until the paper was discontinued in December 1917. It was a four-page monthly, and during the last years of publication was printed by the Berne Witness Company. The English paper, Zion's Call, was also started in 1898 in the interests of the Salem Children's Home. In 1913 it was made the official organ of the conference. It has undergone several changes, the name being altered about 1921 to Zion's Tidings. After July 1953 it was called the Evangelical Mennonite, published jointly by the Evangelical Mennonite Conference, and the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Conference.
|Author(s)||E. E Zimmerman|
 Cite This Article
Zimmerman, E. E. "Heilsbote (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 14 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Heilsbote_(Periodical)&oldid=95165.
Zimmerman, E. E. (1956). Heilsbote (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Heilsbote_(Periodical)&oldid=95165.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.