Hebron Mennonite Church, ca. 1982. Mennonite Historian photo.
In the late 1930s a few Mennonite families from the Zoar Waldheim Mennonite Church
pioneered in bush land several kilometers north of the village of Erwood, Saskatchewan
. Erwood is in the north eastern Saskatchewan Rural Municipality of Hudson Bay, RM 394. In January 1941 they organized as a congregation called the Hebron Mennoniten Gemeinde and affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada
. Initially worship services were held in homes but later they used a small building constructed of logs placed upright and plastered with a mud mixture. The land proved difficult to clear and farming was not very productive. Heinrich A. Dyck (1887-1954) of Zoar, Waldheim, over several years, occasionally visited and led the worship services as part of the Conference’s Inner Mission work. The congregation had a youth group (Jugendverein
), choir and held winter Bible study. About 1943 with work available elsewhere most families left the area and the church closed. The log building was only used for two years. In 1982 the abandoned log building was still standing but the small adjacent cemetery was heavily overgrown.
Jahrbuch der Konferenz der Mennonites in Canada (1943): 54.
Mennonite Historian (September 1982): 3.
|| Victor G Wiebe
| Date Published
|| December 2012
 Cite This Article
Wiebe, Victor G. "Hebron Mennonite Church (Erwood, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 27 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hebron_Mennonite_Church_(Erwood,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=91996.
Wiebe, Victor G. (December 2012). Hebron Mennonite Church (Erwood, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hebron_Mennonite_Church_(Erwood,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=91996.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.