The Hay (Township) Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, near Zurich, Huron County, Ontario, became extinct about 1900, although one surviving member was incorporated into the new Zurich Mennonite Church established at about the same location in 1908. The community was settled in 1835-1860 by Mennonite families from the Waterloo County and Markham communities: Wideman, Otterbein, Vincent, Detweiler, Lehman, Wambold, Martin, Clemens, Bechtel, Reesor, Baer, Newschwanger. A meetinghouse was built about 1864, three miles south of Zurich. The first minister was Daniel Brundage 1850-58, the first deacon Abraham Vincent, ordained in 1851. Henry Newschwanger served as minister about 1857-70, Henry B. Detwiler 1874-93. Without a resident minister from 1893 on, the membership, which was 35 in 1883, dwindled and finally disappeared. The congregation was a member of the Ontario Mennonite Conference.
Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario,1935: 37, 101, 125.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Hay Mennonite Church (Zurich, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 3 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hay_Mennonite_Church_(Zurich,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=87996.
Bender, Harold S. (1959). Hay Mennonite Church (Zurich, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hay_Mennonite_Church_(Zurich,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=87996.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.