Harrisburg Conservative Amish Mennonite Church, located 2.5 miles northeast of Harrisburg, Linn County, Oregon, unaffiliated, was organized in August 1911 with nine families, under the leadership of Daniel J. Kropf and Peter Neuschwander, who served as the first pastor and deacon. The present membership (1955) is 110, consisting of rural people. The first meetinghouse, built in 1915 and enlarged in 1935, was destroyed by fire in 1944. A new church with a seating capacity of 300 was dedicated on 22 November 1945.
Bishops who have served the church are Daniel J. Kropf, Joseph C. Hostetler, and John P. Yoder; ministers Enos Hostetler, Joseph Schrock, Jacob Roth, Levi D. Kropf, Jacob S. Roth, and Noah D. Miller; deacons Peter Neuschwander, Joseph C. Hostetler, John P. Yoder, and Ira J. Headings.
In 1953 the bishop was John P. Yoder and the minister Levi D. Kropf. At one time there were 14 deaf members in the congregation, but at present there are only seven members who use the sign language; they participate in the worship services through an interpreter. During World War I, because of its nonresistant faith, the church was locked up and also damaged. During World War II the church was destroyed by fire for the same reason. Activities of the church include preaching services, Sunday school, young people's Bible meetings, midweek prayer service and Bible study, summer Bible schools, mission Sunday schools, and a sewing circle.
In 2014 the congregation was a member of the Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship. The Bishop was Leland R. Kropf, Minister was Paul E. Kropf, and Deacon was Travis L. Kropf.
Mennonite Church Directory 2014. Harrisonburg, VA: Christian Light Publications, Inc., 2014.
Address: 23688 Powerline Road, Harrisburg, OR
|Author(s)||F. D Kropf|
Cite This Article
Kropf, F. D. "Harrisburg Mennonite Church (Harrisburg, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrisburg_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisburg,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=116601.
Kropf, F. D. (1956). Harrisburg Mennonite Church (Harrisburg, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrisburg_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisburg,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=116601.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.