From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m (Added hyperlink.)
 
(3 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Harrisburg Conservative [[Amish Mennonites|Amish Mennonite]] Church, located 2.5 miles northeast of Harrisburg, [[Linn County, Oregon Amish Mennonite Settlement (Hubbard, Oregon, USA)|Linn County, Oregon]], unaffiliated, was organized in August 1911 with nine families, under the leadership of Daniel J. Kropf and Peter Neuschwander, who served as the first pastor and deacon. The present membership (1955) is 110, consisting of rural people. The first meetinghouse, built in 1915 and enlarged in 1935, was destroyed by fire in 1944. A new church with a seating capacity of 300 was dedicated on 22 November  1945. Bishops who have served the church are Daniel J. Kropf, Joseph C. Hostetler, and John P. Yoder; ministers Enos Hostetler, Joseph Schrock, Jacob Roth, Levi D. Kropf, Jacob S. Roth, and Noah D. Miller; deacons Peter Neuschwander, Joseph C. Hostetler, John P. Yoder, and Ira J. Headings.
+
__FORCETOC__
 +
__TOC__
 +
[[File:HarrisburgMC1948.jpg|400px|thumbnail|''Harrisburg Mennonite Church in Harrisburg, Oregon on 21 July 1948.<br />
 +
Source: Mennonite Community Photograph Collection, The Congregation (HM4-134 Box 1 photo 010.8-13).<br />
 +
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/mennonitechurchusa-archives/5369792507/in/set-72157625860688692/ Mennonite Church USA Archives, Goshen, Indiana]''.]]
 +
Harrisburg Mennonite Church (formerly known as Harrisburg Conservative [[Amish Mennonites|Amish Mennonite]] Church), located 2.5 miles northeast of Harrisburg, [[Linn County, Oregon Amish Mennonite Settlement (Hubbard, Oregon, USA)|Linn County, Oregon]], was organized in August 1911 with nine families, under the leadership of Daniel J. Kropf and Peter Neuschwander, who served as the first pastor and deacon. The church was initially a [[Beachy Amish Mennonite Fellowship|Beachy Amish]] congregation.
  
The present (1953) bishop is John P. Yoder and the minister Levi D. Kropf. At one time there were 14 deaf members in the congregation, but at present there are only seven members who use the sign language; they participate in the worship services through an interpreter. During [[World War (1914-1918)|World War I]], because of its nonresistant faith, the church was locked up and also damaged. During World War II the church was destroyed by fire for the same reason. Activities of the church include preaching services, Sunday school, young people's Bible meetings, midweek prayer service and Bible study, summer Bible schools, mission Sunday schools, and a sewing circle.
+
The membership in 1955 was 110, consisting of rural people. The first meetinghouse, built in 1915 and enlarged in 1935, was destroyed by fire in 1944. A new church with a seating capacity of 300 was dedicated on 22 November  1945.
 +
 
 +
Bishops who have served the church are Daniel J. Kropf, Joseph C. Hostetler, and John P. Yoder; ministers Enos Hostetler, Joseph Schrock, Jacob Roth, Levi D. Kropf, Jacob S. Roth, and Noah D. Miller; deacons Peter Neuschwander, Joseph C. Hostetler, John P. Yoder, and Ira J. Headings.
 +
 
 +
In 1953 the bishop was John P. Yoder and the minister Levi D. Kropf. At one time there were 14 deaf members in the congregation, but at present there are only seven members who use the sign language; they participate in the worship services through an interpreter. During [[World War (1914-1918)|World War I]], because of its nonresistant faith, the church was locked up and also damaged. During World War II the church was destroyed by fire for the same reason. Activities of the church include preaching services, Sunday school, young people's Bible meetings, midweek prayer service and Bible study, summer Bible schools, mission Sunday schools, and a sewing circle.
 +
 
 +
In 2014 the congregation was a member of the [[Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship]]. The Bishop was Leland R. Kropf, Minister was Paul E. Kropf, and Deacon was Travis L. Kropf.
 +
= Bibliography =
 +
''Mennonite Church Directory 2014''. Harrisonburg, VA: Christian Light Publications, Inc., 2014.
 +
= Additional Information =
 +
'''Address''': 23688 Powerline Road, Harrisburg, OR
 +
 
 +
'''Phone:''' 541-995-3446
 +
 
 +
'''Denominational Affiliations:'''
 +
 
 +
[[Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 666|date=1956|a1_last=Kropf|a1_first=F. D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 666|date=1956|a1_last=Kropf|a1_first=F. D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Beachy Amish Mennonite Fellowship Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Oregon Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:United States Congregations]]

Latest revision as of 04:52, 26 March 2014

Contents

Harrisburg Mennonite Church in Harrisburg, Oregon on 21 July 1948.
Source: Mennonite Community Photograph Collection, The Congregation (HM4-134 Box 1 photo 010.8-13).
Mennonite Church USA Archives, Goshen, Indiana
.

Harrisburg Mennonite Church (formerly known as Harrisburg Conservative Amish Mennonite Church), located 2.5 miles northeast of Harrisburg, Linn County, Oregon, was organized in August 1911 with nine families, under the leadership of Daniel J. Kropf and Peter Neuschwander, who served as the first pastor and deacon. The church was initially a Beachy Amish congregation.

The membership in 1955 was 110, consisting of rural people. The first meetinghouse, built in 1915 and enlarged in 1935, was destroyed by fire in 1944. A new church with a seating capacity of 300 was dedicated on 22 November  1945.

Bishops who have served the church are Daniel J. Kropf, Joseph C. Hostetler, and John P. Yoder; ministers Enos Hostetler, Joseph Schrock, Jacob Roth, Levi D. Kropf, Jacob S. Roth, and Noah D. Miller; deacons Peter Neuschwander, Joseph C. Hostetler, John P. Yoder, and Ira J. Headings.

In 1953 the bishop was John P. Yoder and the minister Levi D. Kropf. At one time there were 14 deaf members in the congregation, but at present there are only seven members who use the sign language; they participate in the worship services through an interpreter. During World War I, because of its nonresistant faith, the church was locked up and also damaged. During World War II the church was destroyed by fire for the same reason. Activities of the church include preaching services, Sunday school, young people's Bible meetings, midweek prayer service and Bible study, summer Bible schools, mission Sunday schools, and a sewing circle.

In 2014 the congregation was a member of the Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship. The Bishop was Leland R. Kropf, Minister was Paul E. Kropf, and Deacon was Travis L. Kropf.

[edit] Bibliography

Mennonite Church Directory 2014. Harrisonburg, VA: Christian Light Publications, Inc., 2014.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 23688 Powerline Road, Harrisburg, OR

Phone: 541-995-3446

Denominational Affiliations:

Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship


Author(s) F. D Kropf
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Kropf, F. D. "Harrisburg Mennonite Church (Harrisburg, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrisburg_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisburg,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=116650.

APA style

Kropf, F. D. (1956). Harrisburg Mennonite Church (Harrisburg, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrisburg_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisburg,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=116650.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 666. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.