Hannover (English, Hanover
), the capital (population about 400,000 in 1955; 522,944 in 2007; coordinates: 52° 22′ 0″ N
, 9° 43′ 0″ E
) of the former province of Hannover and now the capital of the German federal state of Lower Saxony
), had about 40 Mennonites before World War I
. In 1891 they united with the support of the Vereinigung der Mennoniten im Deutschen Reich
to hold regular annual religious services. These were conducted by the preachers of Emden
, and Friedrichstadt
in the home of the merchant J. Schütt. On 8 November 1908, a committee of three was chosen (Th. Brons, W. Riewesehl, J. Schütt) to arrange for monthly services. After the death of J. Schütt (8 August 1909) the group met in the Logenhaus, Schiffgraben 8, for several years. Since 1913 there have been no services. On 8 April 1929, the annual meeting of the Curatorium of the Vereinigung
was held in Hannover. In connection with this session a service had been held on the day before in the auditorium of the Psychological Institute, which was attended by nearly 40. The hope was expressed that regular services could again be arranged, but this was not realized until after World War II when
many refugees from the Danzig
area located in this area and a meeting in Hannover was placed on the preaching circuit of the Göttingen
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 249.
Mennonitische Blätter (1891), and other years, especially (1908): 96; (1929): 49.
|| Christian Neff
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Neff, Christian. "Hannover (Niedersachsen, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hannover_(Niedersachsen,_Germany)&oldid=95075.
Neff, Christian. (1956). Hannover (Niedersachsen, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hannover_(Niedersachsen,_Germany)&oldid=95075.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 2, p. 647. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.