Hall (also called Solbad Hall), a city (pop. 10,535 in 1956; 11,500 in 2001) in the lower Inn Valley, Tyrol, Austria, the old capital of the Inn Valley, the seat of the district court, on the left bank of the Inn, 20 miles (32 km) east of Innsbruck, with which it carries on a lively trade. It has a rich past in the history of Anabaptism in Tyrol, which has been better preserved in archive materials than in the chronicles of the Hutterian Brethren. In 1521 Dr. Jakob Strauss was already working to reform the ceremonies and practices of the church, preaching against corruption in the confessional, calling the monks mis-leaders of the world; but he was not in agreement with the Wittenberg Reformation either. His successor Urban Rhegius also worked with the same idea; thus the Anabaptists in Hall and vicinity found a well-prepared field.
Not only Hall, but also the suburb Mild soon became a center of the Anabaptist movement. The martyr list of the chronicles, to be sure, records only two executions, whereas 68 are recorded for Kitzbühel. The movement evidently moved from Hall to other places which seemed safer at the moment. The town on the Inn also attracted them as the route of many Anabaptists on their way to Moravia.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 236.
Loesche, G. "Tirolensia, Täufertum und Protestantismus." Jahrbuch der Gesellschaft für die Geschichte des Protestantismus in Oesterreich 47 (1926).
Loserth, Johann. Der Anabaptismus in Tirol. Vienna: F. Tempsky, 1892.
 Cite This Article
Loserth, Johann. "Hall in Tirol (Tyrol, Austria)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 1 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hall_in_Tirol_(Tyrol,_Austria)&oldid=95053.
Loserth, Johann. (1956). Hall in Tirol (Tyrol, Austria). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hall_in_Tirol_(Tyrol,_Austria)&oldid=95053.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.