Halbstadt Kommerzschule (School of Commerce), Molotschna, South Russia, was established as a private Realschule in 1907 sponsored by the Mennonite Educational Association (Mennonitischer Schulverein). Since it was under the supervision of the Russian Department of Education the name was changed to "Kommerzschule des Mennonitischen Bildungsvereins" in order to enjoy greater freedom and flexibility under the Department of Commerce. It retained the curriculum of the Realschule and added a year and some commercial subjects to the curriculum. Students from the regular Zentralschulen could enter a preparatory class of the school. The school consisted of the upper four grades of a regular Russian eight-grade school of commerce. Two foreign languages were taught. In 1910 the enrollment was 124. The school occupied the former starch factory of Halbstadt and had a dormitory for students from distant communities. The director of the school was chosen by the executive committee of the Educational Association (Bildungsverein) and approved by the Department of Commerce. In the early days J. J. Sudermann of Apanlee was the chairman of the executive committee and Peter J. Wiens the director of the school. Some of the teachers were A. A. Friesen, P. P. Letkemann, and B. H. Unruh.
During the revolution and the following years the school went through great difficulties. In 1923 it was changed into an agricultural school.
Friesen, Peter M. Die Alt-Evangelische Mennonitische Brüderschaft in Russland (1789-1910) im Rahmen der mennonitischen Gesamtgeschichte. Halbstadt: Verlagsgesellschaft "Raduga", 1911: 627 ff.
Görz, Heinrich. Die Molotschnaer Ansiedlung. Steinbach, MB, 1951:160.
Mennonite Life VI (July 1951): 28.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Halbstadt Kommerzschule (Halbstadt, Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 13 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Halbstadt_Kommerzschule_(Halbstadt,_Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=81600.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1956). Halbstadt Kommerzschule (Halbstadt, Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Halbstadt_Kommerzschule_(Halbstadt,_Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=81600.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.