Until 1772 Haakendorf was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Haakendorf was located. Haakendorf was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. Haakendorf (now Zawadka) is located in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
Mennonites did not move to Haakendorf until the last quarter of the 18th century. None are listed as living in Haakendorf in the 1776 Prussian Mennonite census. In the 1811 Elbing census there were three Mennonite families in Haakendorf und Robac with the following surnames: Dyck, Hamm (living in Haakendorf since 1780), and Neufeld. In 1820 the village had 79 inhabitants, of which only three were Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Haakendorf were members of the Elbing-Ellerwald Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Zawadka, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 25 November 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zawadka,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||November 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Haakendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2012. Web. 2 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Haakendorf_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=81556.
Thiessen, Richard D. (November 2012). Haakendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Haakendorf_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=81556.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.