Until 1793 Groschkenkampe was part of Danzig in Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The Second Partition of Poland in 1793 added Danzig and its surrounding territory to the province of West Prussia. Groschkenkampe was situated in the district (Kreis) of Danzig from 1818 until 1887, when it became part of the district of Danziger Niederung. Groschkenkampe became part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 until the outbreak of World War II in 1939, when it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. Today it is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Sztutowo, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In the 1793 Danzig census there was one Mennonite family, named Wiebe, living in Groschkenkampe. In 1820 Groschkenkampe had 90 inhabitants, including six Mennonites. In 1935 six Mennonite families lived in Groschkenkampe with the following surnames: Barwich, Dück, Esau, Heidebrecht, and Tepper.
Mennonites who were residents of Groschkenkampe were members of the Tiegenhagen Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Groszkowo, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 7 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groszkowo,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 7 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2031.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Groschkenkampe (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 26 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Groschkenkampe_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=81488.
Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Groschkenkampe (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Groschkenkampe_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=81488.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.