From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:35, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search
Groß Lichtenau (now Lichnowy, Poland) Source: Wikipedia Commons
Groß Lichtenau (also known as Lichtenowe and Gross Lichtenau; now known as Lichnowy Wielkie; coordinates: 54.114722, 18.913056 [54° 6′ 53″ N, 18° 54′ 47″ E]; population in 1905, 743; in 2012, 973) is located approximately 12 kilometres (7 miles) north-west of Malbork (Marienburg) and 34 km. (21 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).

Groß Lichtenau was first mentioned in historical documents in 1254 (Lichtenowe) and in 1321 was granted the Chełmno charter (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government) by the Teutonic Knights. With Klein Lichtenau (now Lichnowy Małe), the village totalled 84 włókas (1,508 hectares). Until 1772 Groß Lichtenau was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Groß Lichtenau was located. Groß Lichtenau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. Groß Lichtenau came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Groß Lichtenau (now Lichnowy) was a village in Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship, and served as the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Lichnowy.

The 1776 Prussian census lists three Mennonite families in Groß Lichtenau with the following: Regehr, Warckentin, and Willms. In 1820, the village had 558 residents, including 20 Mennonites. In the 2nd half of the 19th century, the village had 212 włókas (3,806 hectares) of ploughland, 459 Catholics, 233 Lutherans, 27 Mennonites, and 54 houses.

Mennonites who were residents of Groß Lichtenau were members of the Heubuden Mennonite Church.

Bibliography

Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Lichnowy Wielkie." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 14 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=376&lang=en.

Wikipedia. "Lichnowy, Malbork County." Web. 14 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichnowy,_Malbork_County.

Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 14 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2111.

Maps

Map:Lichnowy, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland


Author(s) Richard D Thiessen
Date Published December 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Thiessen, Richard D. "Groß Lichtenau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 24 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gro%C3%9F_Lichtenau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94980.

APA style

Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Groß Lichtenau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gro%C3%9F_Lichtenau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94980.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.