Groß Lesewitz (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Groß Lesewitz (also known as Gross Lesewitz, Liezwice and Leźwice; now known as Lasowice Wielkie; coordinates: 54.0894, 19.0747 [54° 5′ 21″ N, 19° 4′ 28″ E]; population in 1905, 548; in 2012, 340) is located approximately 6 kilometres (4 miles) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), 14 km. (9 mi.) south of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 22 km. (14 mi.) south-west of Elbląg (Elbing), and 43 km. (27 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Groß Lesewitz was first mentioned in historical documents in 1321. In 1350, the village charter was renewed by Heinrich Dusemer von Arfberg, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights under the Chełmno law (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government). The village had 95 włókas and 22 morgas (1,719 hectares) of land. In the Teutonic Knights period, the village had a manor, which included the villages of Blumstein, Tenne, and Tragheim. Until 1772 Groß Lesewitz was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Groß Lesewitz was located. Groß Lesewitz was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Groß Lesewitz (now Lasowice Wielkie) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Malbork, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists one Mennonite family of four individuals named Epp. In 1820 Groß Lesewitz had 439 inhabitants, including 11 Mennonites. In the 2nd half of the 19th century the village had 157 włókas (2,819 hectares) of farmland, 15 homesteads, 18 minor gentry houses, 249 Catholics, 216 Lutherans, 29 Mennonites, and 47 houses.
Mennonites who were residents of Groß Lesewitz were members of the Heubuden Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Lasowice Wielkie." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 17 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=372&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Lasowice Wielkie, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 17 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasowice_Wielkie,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 17 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2109.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Groß Lesewitz (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 23 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gro%C3%9F_Lesewitz_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=124611.
Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Groß Lesewitz (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gro%C3%9F_Lesewitz_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=124611.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.