Box 89, Gretna, MB, R0G 0V0. (204) 327-5790. Located on Montcalm Ave. Minister Rudy Franz served in 2002 as a congregational leader. In 1965 there were 156 members; in 1975, 134; in 1985, 140; in 1995, 145; in 2000, 124. The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Manitoba (1947-), Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1947-), and the General Conference Mennonite Church (1968-1999). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
The congregation began services in 1890s, and formally organized in 1947. The first building was occupied in 1958. Heinrich H. Ewert is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from Edenburg, Manitoba. This congregation replaced the Bergthaler church at Edenburg as the latter gradually declined as a population center. The existence of Canadian Pacific rail lines through Gretna and activities at Mennonite Collegiate Institute, plus the arrival of an aggressive leader like H. H. Ewert, caused Gretna to develop into a Mennonite worship center.
Canadian Mennonite (2 January 1959): 3.
Mennonite Reporter (15 May 1978): 11.
Gerbrandt, H. J. Adventure in Faith. Altona, MB: Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba, 1970, 379 pp.
Church records at Mennonite Heritage Centre
|Date Published||September 1986|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Gretna Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Gretna, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 1986. Web. 7 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gretna_Bergthaler_Mennonite_Church_(Gretna,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=91962.
Epp, Marlene. (September 1986). Gretna Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Gretna, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gretna_Bergthaler_Mennonite_Church_(Gretna,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=91962.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.