Grace Mennonite Church (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada)
Grace Mennonite Church began services and formally organized in 1961. The first building was occupied in 1962, with a subsequent building program in 1986. Bernie Loeppky is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church over use of the German language.
The congregation met originally in the facilities of Winkler Bible School.
In 1965 there were 63 members; in 1975, 140; in 1985, 246; in 1995, 373; in 2000, 391. The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Manitoba and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1963-). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
Canadian Mennonite (7 December 1962): 12; (21 December 1962): 3.
Brown, Frank. A History of the Town of Winkler, Manitoba. 1973: 196.
25th Anniversary and Dedication Service Booklet, 1986, 16 pp. Mennonite Historical Society of Canada collection, Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Church records at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Location: 1350 Pembina Ave., Winkler, MB R6W 4B5
Website: Grace Mennonite Church
|Date Published||July 2017|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Grace Mennonite Church (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2017. Web. 19 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grace_Mennonite_Church_(Winkler,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=149100.
Epp, Marlene. (July 2017). Grace Mennonite Church (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grace_Mennonite_Church_(Winkler,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=149100.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.