The congregation began services in 1959, and formally organized in 1961. The first building was occupied in 1962, with a move to a new building in 1989. George S. Rempel is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from other Steinbach churches over use of the German language and other conflicts.
The church was begun by families from Steinbach Mennonite, Bergthaler Mennonite, and the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren church who resisted the evangelical pressures which existed in other churches. Steinbach Mennonite and Bergthaler Mennonite raised objections when Grace wished to affiliate with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada and mediators were called in to bring about a reconciliation.
In 1965 there were 101 members; in 1975, 162; in 1985, 206; in 1995, 200; in 2000, 242. The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Manitoba (1966-), Conference of Mennonites in Canada /`Mennonite Church Canada (1966-) and General Conference Mennonite Church (1965-1999). The language of worship is English.
Harder, Leland. Steinbach and Its Churches. Elkhart, IN: Mennonite Biblical Seminary, 1970, 109 pp.
Mennonite Reporter (12 December 1977): 17; (8 December 1986): 13; (2 October 1989): 14.
25th Anniversary pictorial directory, 1986. Mennonite Historical Society of Canada collection, Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
 Additional Information
Address: Box 508, Steinbach, MB R0A 2A0.
|Date Published||February 1989|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Grace Mennonite Church (Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 14 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grace_Mennonite_Church_(Steinbach,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=87910.
Epp, Marlene. (February 1989). Grace Mennonite Church (Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grace_Mennonite_Church_(Steinbach,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=87910.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.