Revision as of 19:15, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Grace Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) of Lansdale, Pennsylvania, began in 1928 as a mission work with Thursday evening meetings in private homes for Bible study and prayer. In 1929 this group purchased and renovated an abandoned church on Mount Vernon Street, which was still in use in the 1950s. In 1930 the congregation was organized and the first Sunday school and worship meeting was held in the church.

Most of the 45 charter members were members of the Deep Run church who were living in Lansdale. In 1954 the membership was 290. Ministers through the 1950s included D. J. Unruh 1930-1936, Olin A. Krehbiel 1937-1946, J. J. Plenert 1946-1953, and Elmer Friesen 1954-   .

Over the years the congregation has had a healthy spiritual and numerical growth. A number of the young people have entered Christian service. A larger meetinghouse was built in 1956 at York and Mitchell Avenues. In 2007 the membership was 235; the pastor was Marc Hershberger.

Additional Information


630 York Avenue

Lansdale, Pennsylvania



Denominational Affiliations:

Eastern District Conference

Mennonite Church USA


Grace Mennonite Church

Author(s) J. Herbert Fretz
Date Published 1957

Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, J. Herbert. "Grace Mennonite Church (Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 28 Oct 2016.,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=81364.

APA style

Fretz, J. Herbert. (1957). Grace Mennonite Church (Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 October 2016, from,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=81364.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 561. All rights reserved.

©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.