The Gospel Mennonite Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba began services in 1954, and formally organized in 1957. The first building was occupied in 1958. B. W. Sawatsky is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through conference members moving to Winnipeg.
In 1965 there were 201 members; in 1975, 220; in 1985, 284; in 2000, 215. The congregation has been affiliated with the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference since 1959. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1950s.
Canadian Mennonite (20 May 1960): 13.
EMMC Recorder (December 1973): 2; (December 1982): 11.
Heppner, Jack. Search for Renewal: The Story of the Rudnerweider/Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference 1937-1987. Winnipeg, MB,1987, 348 pp.
Archival Records:Church records at the church.
Address: 232 Nassau Street, Winnipeg, MB R3L 2H8
Website: Gospel Mennonite Church
|Date Published||February 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Gospel Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 13 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gospel_Mennonite_Church_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=87884.
Epp, Marlene. (February 1989). Gospel Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gospel_Mennonite_Church_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=87884.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.