Gospel Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located in Mountain Lake, Cottonwood County, Minnesota, started about 1878 as "Wall's" Church. In 1889 the name was changed to Bergfelder Church. After 1943 it had the name Gospel Mennonite. It was a member of the Northern District Conference. The first settlers arrived in 1875 from Molotschna settlement in South Russia. Aron Wall was the first elder. Other ministers have been his brother Henry Wall, Theodor Nickel, and Jacob Harms. Aron Wall was also an able bonesetter (Knochenarzt). About 1888 Aron Wall left the church with a group to found the later E.M.B. Church of Mountain Lake. The Bethel Church of Mountain Lake, with H. H. Regier and later J. J. Balzer as leaders, is also a daughter of the Gospel Mennonite Church. The first church was built in 1878, and remodeled in 1913. The church had a beautiful location overlooking the lake. The members in the 1950s were mostly farmers. Preaching was in the English language, with occasional German services. In the homes mostly Low German was still spoken in the 1950s. The membership in 1953 was 259, with John P. Sudermann as pastor.
|Author(s)||A. A Penner|
Cite This Article
Penner, A. A. "Gospel Mennonite Church (Mountain Lake, Minnesota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 24 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gospel_Mennonite_Church_(Mountain_Lake,_Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=81312.
Penner, A. A. (1956). Gospel Mennonite Church (Mountain Lake, Minnesota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gospel_Mennonite_Church_(Mountain_Lake,_Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=81312.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.