The village was founded in 1338 under the Chełmno Laws (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government) by the Grand Master Dietrich von Altenburg on 57 włókas and 5 morga of land. The sources from 1582 mentioned the presence of Dutch colonists.
Until 1772 Gnojau was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Gnojau was located. Gnojau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Gnojau (now Gnojewo) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Miłoradz, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In 1820, the village had 278 residents, including 5 Mennonites. In 1868, Gnojewo had 123 włókas of farmland, 31 houses, 438 residents, and 10 Mennonites.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Gnojewo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 8 October 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=325&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Gnojewo, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 8 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnojewo,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 8 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Gnojau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 7 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gnojau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94846.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Gnojau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gnojau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94846.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.