Gnadenthal, a village (pop. 200 in the 1950s) situated about seven miles (12 km) southwest of Plum Coulee, Manitoba, was one of the most progressive of the Mennonite villages west of the Red River, with conveniences such as electrification and telephones. There were two Mennonite churches, one General Conference Mennonite and one Mennonite Brethren, and a two-room public school with qualified Mennonite teachers. The village dated back to 1874-1875, when it was settled by Old Colonists from South Russia, who vacated the village in 1923-1925 with about 15 other villages in this area, because the Department of Education required the use of the English language in the schools. However, this proved to be a godsend for some of the 21,000 Mennonites who immigrated from South Russia to Canada in 1924, and who took possession of the land and buildings, most of whom became well-to-do farmers. Other villages in the vicinity had their own churches, which also belonged to the Blumenort Mennonite Church as well.
|Author(s)||H. H Hamm|
 Cite This Article
Hamm, H. H. "Gnadenthal (Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gnadenthal_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=81227.
Hamm, H. H. (1956). Gnadenthal (Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gnadenthal_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=81227.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.