From GAMEO
Revision as of 21:54, 19 January 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Gex, a district of the French department of Ain, which was ceded by Switzerland to France in 1601. In the 20th century a congregation with name "Pays de Gex" was formed there in the town of Thoiry, eight miles (13 km) from Geneva, by Swiss Mennonite emigrants under the leadership of Abraham Geiser. The congregation joined the Swiss Mennonite Conference in 1925; in 1926 it numbered about 50 souls; in 1955 it had 64 baptized members.

See also Pays de Gex

Bibliography

Almanach-Mennonite (1951): 14.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 105.

Zionspilger (9 March 1924): 39.


Author(s) Christian Hege
Harold S. Bender
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Hege, Christian and Harold S. Bender. "Gex (Rhône-Alpes, France)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gex_(Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes,_France)&oldid=105595.

APA style

Hege, Christian and Harold S. Bender. (1956). Gex (Rhône-Alpes, France). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gex_(Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes,_France)&oldid=105595.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 512. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.