Gemeinschaftliche Liedersammlung, Die, zum allgemeinen Gebrauch des wahren Gottesdienstes aus vielen Liederbüchern gesammelt, und mit einem Inhalt sammt Register versehen. This small (12 vo., 320 pp.) hymnbook without music, was the third compiled and published by North American Mennonites, and served the Ontario Mennonites as long as the German language was in use. It is still used by the Old Order group in Ontario, the latest edition being 1975. It was first published at Berlin (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) in 1836, with reprints there 1838, 1841, 1849, 1857, 1883, 1892, 1908. The reprints of 1860 and 1870 at Lancaster, PA, suggest it was also used in that area for at least a time. The second edition was slightly enlarged with an appendix (Anhang), which became a larger Zugabe with the third edition, both editions having a double index (Register). From 1857 on the reprints were identical at 388 pages. Probably edited by Bishop Benjamin Eby (1785-1853), the book took two thirds of its 205 hymns from the Lancaster Conference hymnal, Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch (first ed. 1804), and most of the rest from the Franconia Conference hymnal, Kleine Geistliche Harfe.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Gemeinschaftliche Liedersammlung." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 Jan 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gemeinschaftliche_Liedersammlung&oldid=91882.
Bender, Harold S. (1956). Gemeinschaftliche Liedersammlung. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 January 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gemeinschaftliche_Liedersammlung&oldid=91882.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 457. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.