From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:46, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Geertruidenberg, a town in the Dutch province of North Brabant, where in former times there was a small Mennonite congregation, closely connected with those of Breda and Oosterhout. It belonged to the Flemish Mennonites, and in 1665 joined the Zonist branch. Deacons at this time were Jan Jansz van Langereyt and Augustijn Gerritsz Hulstman. It seems to have had no preacher at that time. Blaupot ten Cate informs us that this congregation died out before or about 1750; but it probably dissolved much earlier, for after 1674 no mention of it is made in the records of the Flemish church of Rotterdam, which used to keep a careful eye on a number of small Flemish congregations in the surroundings. Geertruidenberg in 1950 had a population of 3,344 souls, 85.2 per cent of whom were Roman Catholics. No Mennonites were then found in this town.

Contents

Bibliography

Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht en Gelderland. 2 v. Amsterdam: P.N. van Kampen, 1847: II, 43.

Additional Information


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Geertruidenberg (Noord-Brabant, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 1 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Geertruidenberg_(Noord-Brabant,_Netherlands)&oldid=87695.

APA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1956). Geertruidenberg (Noord-Brabant, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Geertruidenberg_(Noord-Brabant,_Netherlands)&oldid=87695.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.