From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:46, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Gar Creek Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) is now extinct. About 1854 Mennonites first settled at Gar Creek, a village 11 miles (18 km) northeast of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Among them Michael Rothgeb, Abram and Jacob Bixler, John Federspiel, Hezekiah Rothgeb, and Nancy Lowery. Services were held in Bethel Chapel, a union building. There was no resident minister. Eli Stoffer, a minister in the Hudson (Indiana) congregation, and others conducted occasional services. In 1900 there were 20 members. After the establishing of the Fort Wayne Mission in 1903, the mission workers assumed responsibility for the services at Gar Creek. On 22 October 1905 the building was rededicated for church services. Regular services were discontinued about 1910.


Author(s) Hubert L Osborne
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Osborne, Hubert L. "Gar Creek Mennonite Church (Gar Creek, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gar_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Gar_Creek,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=87660.

APA style

Osborne, Hubert L. (1956). Gar Creek Mennonite Church (Gar Creek, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gar_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Gar_Creek,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=87660.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 439. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.