Gage County, Nebraska U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Gage County, Nebraska
, is located in the southeastern part of the state, with Beatrice
(1950 pop. 12,000), the county seat, near its center. In 1953 there were two Mennonite (General Conference Mennonite
) churches with 512 members (1953), the First Mennonite
(328) and Beatrice Mennonite
(174). The Beatrice Mennonite Hospital was also located in the county. The Mennonite settlement was concentrated west and largely within a 12-mile (20 km) radius of Beatrice. A few scattered families lived farther west and north extending into Jefferson and Saline counties.
The first Mennonites to buy land in this county were 12 Prussian Mennonite families of Mount Pleasant
, who settled in Gage County in early 1877. They obtained good quality unimproved land for five to six dollars per acre. In 1878 another group of 34 families settled here, and in 1884, 10 families from Russia
. Other families have migrated to the county from Germany
and Russia since these early settlements, but not in large numbers.
|| D. Paul Miller
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Miller, D. Paul. "Gage County (Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 8 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gage_County_(Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=91840.
Miller, D. Paul. (1956). Gage County (Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 8 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gage_County_(Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=91840.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.