From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:OH-Fulton.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Fulton County, Ohio  
+
[[File:OH-Fulton.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Fulton County, Ohio
  
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map  
+
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map'']]    Fulton County, [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], is in the northwestern part of the state, bordered by Henry County on the south and by [[Michigan (State)|Michigan]] on the north. The Mennonite settlement of this region, consisting in 1955 of more than 2,600 baptized members, centered at [[Archbold (Ohio, USA)|Archbold]] in German Township, in the southwest corner of the county. From German Township it extended westward into Williams County, south into Henry County, north into Franklin and Dover townships, and east to Wauseon, the county seat. Archbold is 40 miles (65 km) west of Toledo and 26 miles (43 km) east of the [[Indiana (USA)|Indiana]] state line.
 
+
'']]    Fulton County, [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], is in the northwestern part of the state, bordered by Henry County on the south and by [[Michigan (State)|Michigan]] on the north. The Mennonite settlement of this region, consisting in 1955 of more than 2,600 baptized members, centered at [[Archbold (Ohio, USA)|Archbold]] in German Township, in the southwest corner of the county. From German Township it extended westward into Williams County, south into Henry County, north into Franklin and Dover townships, and east to Wauseon, the county seat. Archbold is 40 miles (65 km) west of Toledo and 26 miles (43 km) east of the [[Indiana (USA)|Indiana]] state line.
+
  
 
The early settlers were French and Alsatian [[Amish Mennonites|Amish Mennonites]] from the region of [[Montbéliard (Doubs, Franche-Comté, France)|Montbéliard]] and Mulhouse, the first of whom arrived in 1834. By 1850 many families had arrived, including such names as Beck, [[Frey (Frei, Fry) family|Frey]], Lauber, Rufenacht, Rupp, [[Stuckey (Stucky, Stucki) family|Stuckey]] and [[Wyse family name|Wyse]]. The main body of the settlement eventually affiliated with what came to be the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio and Eastern A.M. Joint Conference]] of the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church (MC)]]. The first meetinghouse was the [[Central Mennonite Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)|Central Amish Mennonite Church]], erected in 1870, two and three-fourths miles (4.5 km)  northeast of Archbold. In 1908 two new meetinghouses were added: [[West Clinton Mennonite Church (Wauseon, Ohio, USA)|West Clinton]], six miles (10 km) southeast of Central; and [[Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA)|Lockport]], six miles (10 km) west, in Williams County. In 1956 there were eleven meetinghouses, representing seven independent congregations and four mission stations, extending from suburban Toledo to Hicksville near the Indiana border, with a total of ca. 1963 members in the Ohio and Eastern Conference. The first minister was Christian Beck who had been ordained in [[Switzerland|Switzerland]]. Well-known Fulton County bishops in the later period were Christian Stuckey (1841-1907) and Elias L. Frey (1856-1942).
 
The early settlers were French and Alsatian [[Amish Mennonites|Amish Mennonites]] from the region of [[Montbéliard (Doubs, Franche-Comté, France)|Montbéliard]] and Mulhouse, the first of whom arrived in 1834. By 1850 many families had arrived, including such names as Beck, [[Frey (Frei, Fry) family|Frey]], Lauber, Rufenacht, Rupp, [[Stuckey (Stucky, Stucki) family|Stuckey]] and [[Wyse family name|Wyse]]. The main body of the settlement eventually affiliated with what came to be the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio and Eastern A.M. Joint Conference]] of the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church (MC)]]. The first meetinghouse was the [[Central Mennonite Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)|Central Amish Mennonite Church]], erected in 1870, two and three-fourths miles (4.5 km)  northeast of Archbold. In 1908 two new meetinghouses were added: [[West Clinton Mennonite Church (Wauseon, Ohio, USA)|West Clinton]], six miles (10 km) southeast of Central; and [[Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA)|Lockport]], six miles (10 km) west, in Williams County. In 1956 there were eleven meetinghouses, representing seven independent congregations and four mission stations, extending from suburban Toledo to Hicksville near the Indiana border, with a total of ca. 1963 members in the Ohio and Eastern Conference. The first minister was Christian Beck who had been ordained in [[Switzerland|Switzerland]]. Well-known Fulton County bishops in the later period were Christian Stuckey (1841-1907) and Elias L. Frey (1856-1942).
  
In 1956 the Fulton County settlement also included one small congregation of the [[Archbold Reformed Mennonite Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)|Reformed Mennonite Church]]; one of the [[Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (CGC)|Church of God in Christ Mennonites]]with 33 members; and two congregations of the [[Fellowship of Evangelical Churches|Conference of Evangelical Mennonites]] (formerly Defenseless Mennonites), one in [[Archbold Evangelical Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)|Archbold]] and the other in [[Wauseon Evangelical Mennonite Church (Wauseon, Ohio, USA)|Wauseon]], with a combined membership of 621 (1955 statistics). All three of these groups were originally formed in the 1860s.
+
In 1956 the Fulton County settlement also included one small congregation of the [[Archbold Reformed Mennonite Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)|Reformed Mennonite Church]]; one of the [[Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (CGC)|Church of God in Christ Mennonites ]]with 33 members; and two congregations of the [[Fellowship of Evangelical Churches|Conference of Evangelical Mennonites]] (formerly Defenseless Mennonites), one in [[Archbold Evangelical Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)|Archbold]] and the other in [[Wauseon Evangelical Mennonite Church (Wauseon, Ohio, USA)|Wauseon]], with a combined membership of 621 (1955 statistics). All three of these groups were originally formed in the 1860s.
  
 
In 1956 the Fulton County Mennonites had representatives on the foreign mission field in [[Africa|Africa]], [[India|India]], and [[Japan|Japan]]. The local mission congregation was serving the needs of the Mexican farm laborers who resided in the community. In 1956 the secretary-treasurer of the [[Africa Inter-Mennonite Mission|Congo Inland Mission]] was Harvey A. Driver of Wauseon, of the Conference of Evangelical Mennonites.
 
In 1956 the Fulton County Mennonites had representatives on the foreign mission field in [[Africa|Africa]], [[India|India]], and [[Japan|Japan]]. The local mission congregation was serving the needs of the Mexican farm laborers who resided in the community. In 1956 the secretary-treasurer of the [[Africa Inter-Mennonite Mission|Congo Inland Mission]] was Harvey A. Driver of Wauseon, of the Conference of Evangelical Mennonites.

Revision as of 14:33, 23 August 2013

Fulton County, Ohio U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Fulton County, Ohio, is in the northwestern part of the state, bordered by Henry County on the south and by Michigan on the north. The Mennonite settlement of this region, consisting in 1955 of more than 2,600 baptized members, centered at Archbold in German Township, in the southwest corner of the county. From German Township it extended westward into Williams County, south into Henry County, north into Franklin and Dover townships, and east to Wauseon, the county seat. Archbold is 40 miles (65 km) west of Toledo and 26 miles (43 km) east of the Indiana state line.

The early settlers were French and Alsatian Amish Mennonites from the region of Montbéliard and Mulhouse, the first of whom arrived in 1834. By 1850 many families had arrived, including such names as Beck, Frey, Lauber, Rufenacht, Rupp, Stuckey and Wyse. The main body of the settlement eventually affiliated with what came to be the Ohio and Eastern A.M. Joint Conference of the Mennonite Church (MC). The first meetinghouse was the Central Amish Mennonite Church, erected in 1870, two and three-fourths miles (4.5 km)  northeast of Archbold. In 1908 two new meetinghouses were added: West Clinton, six miles (10 km) southeast of Central; and Lockport, six miles (10 km) west, in Williams County. In 1956 there were eleven meetinghouses, representing seven independent congregations and four mission stations, extending from suburban Toledo to Hicksville near the Indiana border, with a total of ca. 1963 members in the Ohio and Eastern Conference. The first minister was Christian Beck who had been ordained in Switzerland. Well-known Fulton County bishops in the later period were Christian Stuckey (1841-1907) and Elias L. Frey (1856-1942).

In 1956 the Fulton County settlement also included one small congregation of the Reformed Mennonite Church; one of the Church of God in Christ Mennonites with 33 members; and two congregations of the Conference of Evangelical Mennonites (formerly Defenseless Mennonites), one in Archbold and the other in Wauseon, with a combined membership of 621 (1955 statistics). All three of these groups were originally formed in the 1860s.

In 1956 the Fulton County Mennonites had representatives on the foreign mission field in Africa, India, and Japan. The local mission congregation was serving the needs of the Mexican farm laborers who resided in the community. In 1956 the secretary-treasurer of the Congo Inland Mission was Harvey A. Driver of Wauseon, of the Conference of Evangelical Mennonites.

Fulton County leadership was largely responsible for the founding of Little Eden camp at Onekama, Michigan, in 1945. From an economic point of view the Fulton County settlement was unique in the mid-20th century because of its large number of small community industries, such as woodworking, meat packing, and the manufacture of farm machinery.


Author(s) Guy F Hershberger
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Hershberger, Guy F. "Fulton County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 30 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fulton_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=94774.

APA style

Hershberger, Guy F. (1956). Fulton County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fulton_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=94774.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 417-418. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.