The Friesland Mennonite Church, located in Colony Friesland near Puerto Rosario, is a member of the South American Mennonite District Conference (since 1949) and also a member of the General Conference Mennonite Church. The church was organized on 10 October 1937 with 30 members under the leadership of Abram Penner, assisted by Heinrich Wiens and Isaak Goerzen, adopting the motto, "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 3:11). Its members are a part of the total colony group that migrated from the Chaco to East Paraguay in 1937 and founded Colony Friesland. Leaders have been Abram Penner (to 1945), Abram Harder, and Johann Federau (1955) ; the membership was 220 in 1955, served by five ministers and two deacons. Worship services were held every Sunday in cooperation with the Mennonite Brethren Church, except the first Sunday of each month when only members met, at first in the five village schools, and after 1951 in the brick church built in Central, seating capacity 400. Sunday schools were held as well as daily vacation Bible school. Weekly young people's meetings and choir work were carried on separately as a church program. Communion services were held two or three times a year.
|Author(s)||Abraham A Harder|
 Cite This Article
Harder, Abraham A. "Friesland Mennonite Church (Friesland Colony, San Pedro Department, Paraguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Friesland_Mennonite_Church_(Friesland_Colony,_San_Pedro_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=81069.
Harder, Abraham A. (1956). Friesland Mennonite Church (Friesland Colony, San Pedro Department, Paraguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Friesland_Mennonite_Church_(Friesland_Colony,_San_Pedro_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=81069.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.