The Friesland Agricultural Cooperative (Cooperativa Agricola de Friesland), located in the Friesland settlement in Alto Paraguay, near the port of Rosario, was organized 5 July 1941 with 38 members, in order to provide for adequate and economical purchase of necessities and profitable sale of colony produce; to establish basic industries to provide for the needs of the settlers; to prevent the settlers from purchasing their requirements outside the colony, thereby weakening its financial stability. Its original capital was 200,000 pesos, and in 1950, 62,540 guaranies. Shares in the 1950s were valued at 20 guaranies, since 1947 payable in cash and obligatory for each colony member, the shares of the Cooperativa being automatically sold with the land at any time. David Wieler, leader (Oberschulze) of the colony, was also president of the Cooperativa, which was under the direct supervision of the colony administration. Special difficulties were encountered because of poor transportation facilities, lack of reliable markets, and the instability of the Paraguayan guarani. Its 1949 turnover was 185,000 guaranies, and in 1950, 458,000 guaranies, the increase being due in part to inflated prices and devaluation of the guarani, but also to increased cooperation of all colony members.
Cite This Article
Janzen, Heinrich. "Friesland Agricultural Cooperative (Friesland Colony, San Pedro Department, Paraguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 17 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Friesland_Agricultural_Cooperative_(Friesland_Colony,_San_Pedro_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=94759.
Janzen, Heinrich. (1956). Friesland Agricultural Cooperative (Friesland Colony, San Pedro Department, Paraguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Friesland_Agricultural_Cooperative_(Friesland_Colony,_San_Pedro_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=94759.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.